Many people have experienced driving under the influence by having a few drinks at a party and getting into the car to head home thinking that they’re perfectly capable of getting there. When you're stopped by a police officer on the road and under the influence of alcohol, it doesn't matter if you're still perfectly fine to drive, once the cop knows you've had a few, you're in trouble.
When trouble peeks around the corner you need to find the best DUI attorney you can to avoid a hefty fine or jail time, but it's not as easy as looking a firm up online! Here are some helpful tips.
1. Don't take the lawyer's claim for their competence - any lawyer or attorney can make that claim. They've studied the law, of course they're competent! Competently doesn't always mean they are specialized, and that's what you want.
2. Check the attorneys record & references. The first place to start is the State Bar of California. There you can enter in the name of any attorney and find out how long they have been practicing, and if they have any negative marks on their record. Another place to look is Avvo.com. Avvo is a main source online for people looking for reviews of attorneys.
3. Make sure that the attorney you're looking to hire has the knowledge of the methods police officers use to test for drunk driving. You want them to understand every step and procedure, not just the basics! You also want to make sure they're familiar with devices that some police officers use in the field as your defense could depend on it.
4. Any DUI attorney you seek should be familiar with the testing performed by the laboratories to determine your blood alcohol content (a measure of how 'drunk' you are). Otherwise, they're not the right attorney.
5. In the end, just remember that NO attorney can promise you a specific result. A criminal lawyer might tell you that they know exactly how the case is going to go the first time you two meet but that is impossible. What a good DUI attorney will be able to do however, is tell you on what they think your most likely outcome will be, and how they plan on getting that to happen.
Sometimes we get into unwanted and unwarranted trouble so if you've been accused of driving under the influence (DUI or DWI) it might be time to look into hiring a DUI attorney for your defense. The attorneys at Netzah & Shem-Tov will promise that they'll fight for you until all options have been exhausted.
Contact us today to learn more about how we can help you on your DUI or DWI 818-995-4200.